Re: CMS - first version

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 03:18:01 +0400

Hello Yusuf, Yuv,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I've been suffering from flu, which makes
me lazy :-)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Lemme state the idea behind this CMS. We've seen many Mauritian websites
using off-the-shelf, popular CMS'es (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc) but
eventually they get compromised (latest reported by SM:
http://film.eruption.mu/) due to them remaining un-patched, etc. Another
issue is that many websites are slow to load - for different reasons. But
why use a bulky CMS with lots of features / plugins / etc. when only a
small percent of that CMS is used: only manage contents + display them.

So the idea behind this CMS is to provide something simple that works - not
much bulky, etc. But flexible enough that it can be extended. BTW, we won't
be doing all for free, will we? We provide a base and it's up to the
developer / web-master to code something specific to the requirements of
his client. What are we going to share? generic plugins for example.

*Why F3?*
There are many frameworks available: Laravel, CodeIgniter, Symphony,
Phalcon, Slim, CakePHP, YII, Zend, etc. I wanted to use something that is
not bulky in terms of size: the base of F3 is only 72Kb and with the
packages/plugins provided, it is 273Kb.

I wanted one that provides performance. Among those who outperform F3 are
Phalcon, YAF and MicroMVC (in some cases). Phalcon & YAF are provided as
PHP extensions (.so / .dll) I do not want to use PHP extensions because
they may not be installed on shared servers. Phalcon & YAF out. Remains
MicroMVC : can't find a decent documentation / reference for it. Moreover,
it's success rate in is not great. See Web Framework Benchmarks[1]. Also
see footer on the demo page [2]. It displays memory usage + time of
execution (the demo is on a shared server). On a local server, I have this:

The framework should be is rich in features, containing packages / plugins.
Easy to learn with a great documentation / reference. One which can be used
by novices as well as experts, without imposing any style of coding, or
structure, etc. You should be able to decide how to structure your app, how
to implement your own MVC, etc.

These are some of the reasons I chose F3.

Best regards,
Nadim Attari

[1]
http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r10&hw=peak&test=json&b=1&s=2&l=sg&p=w-0&w=35w&d=2r&a=1&f=3m-f6g4-qo8s2o-282e9c