Re: IPV4 to IPV6 from Emtel

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 08:21:10 -0700

Hi Jochen,
At 06:37 05-05-2015, Jochen Kirstätter wrote:
>Interesting information. Unfortunately, I didn't
>listen to the broadcast but would like to add
>that Emtel already mentioned during their Emtel
>Knowledge Series (EKS) events last year [1] that
>their infrastructure is completely IPv6 ready
>since 2012, and they are since then not really
>"allowed" to make the switch due to regulation by public bodies.

[snip]

>So, the real question remains why isn't IPv6 already in place?
>Why can Emtel not offer IPv6 to their
>subscribers although their equipment is fully operational on IPv6?

Those are interesting questions.

The ISP licence was issued by the Information and
Communication Technologies Authority in
2004. The licence only mentions IPv4
addresses. The Information and Communication
Technologies Authority must be aware of IPv6 as
it is mentioned on its web site [1]. Are there
regulations in place which prevents an ISP from
offering IPv6 to its subscribers? I do not think
so as I worked on a IPv6 problem where Mauritius
Telecom was the ISP providing IPv6 access.

The Information and Communication Technologies
Authority stated that there was "the need for a
national agency for managing IP addresses and
IPv6 transition strategy" [1]. In my opinion,
that was related to controlling IP addresses used
in Mauritius and tracking all internet users in
Mauritius [2]. Is that why IPv6 is not already in place?

The lack of transparency makes it difficult to
find out whether Emtel was actually prevented by
the Information and Communication Technologies
Authority from making the switch.

1. https://www.icta.mu/it/ip.htm
2. There is information about this on Page 12 of the consultation paper.