Re: IPV4 to IPV6 from Emtel

From: Jochen Kirstätter <mscc_at_kirstaetter.name>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 17:37:23 +0400

Hi,

On 04/05/2015 21:58, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
> I was listening to best FM and i heard that Emtel will switch from
> IPV4 to IPV6 in approx 2 years. I couldn't find anything published in
> the newspapers. Has any heard about it? How is it going to change
> Internet in Mauritius?

Interesting information. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the broadcast
but would like to add that Emtel already mentioned during their Emtel
Knowledge Series (EKS) events last year [1] that their infrastructure is
completely IPv6 ready since 2012, and they are since then not really
"allowed" to make the switch due to regulation by public bodies.

During the event back in Feb 2014 they offered two WiFi hotspots for all
attendees; one IPv4 and the other IPv6. I connected and tested both
hotspots and could easily browse around the web purely on IPv6
infrastructure. That event actually triggered my personal interest to
tinker with IPv6 in my local network.

So, the real question remains why isn't IPv6 already in place?
Why can Emtel not offer IPv6 to their subscribers although their
equipment is fully operational on IPv6?

[1]
http://jochen.kirstaetter.name/blog/general/emtel-knowledge-series-no1.html

--
Kind regards, Jochen
Founder of Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community