Re: IPV4 to IPV6 from Emtel

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 04:09:51 -0700

Hi Ish,

I am not sending this message to Shelly as she recommended to "be
non-technical in your answer".

At 03:11 05-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>As far as I know, nowhere it is published how much IPv4 addresses
>are allocated to Mauritius and how much are currently used. Neither
>we have any sort of data publicly available that could be used to
>project the number of Internet-enabled devices activated every month / year.
>
>So, are we going to use up all IPv4 addresses (allocated to
>Mauritius) in 1 month, 1 year, 10 years? Who can answer that?
>Saying we will no more be able to use Internet once the IPv4
>addresses are used up, is like announcing doomsday; though the date
>of doomsday isn't known to anyone.

I'll provide some background information so that you can determine
whether I have any experience in matters related to IPv4
addresses. There were three global policy proposals for
post-exhaustion IPv4, the first two failed. The proposal which I
co-authored and discussed achieved consensus at the global
level. That proposal has been ratified by the ICANN Board and it has
been implemented as an ICANN policy. I commented about a
consultation about IPv6 in Mauritius and I provided the statistics
published in the document at https://www.icta.mu/documents/outcome_IPv6.pdf

There are well over one million IPv4 addresses allocated to companies
in Mauritius. It is possible for companies in Mauritius to get more
IPv4 addresses. There are a few people in the world who work on
answering the question of when there won't be any IPv4 addresses left
for allocation. I agree that it is not good to announce a doomsday
without providing a date for it.