Re: Alternative Word Processor

From: Appadoo Dave <azezezaaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:27:52 +0400

Hello people

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Azmad Shah Arshad Pooloo <
speedhunter02_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> - "website does not ask you for money to download it. However, I could
> neither find a software license for the same. I am thus left in ambiguity
> on its terms of use. Can I redistribute this app freely? Can I sell it? I
> can't say. "
>
> Ish you are right. I have been using it for quite some while. The
> interface ia really excellent especially for creative writing. It removes
> all tye cluter by providing moat functionalities. The software from what I
> have understood is still beta version. The developpera has assured that
> whatever is free and availble in the beta versions will remain free. Then
> using this logic I have concluded that more functionalities(optional) will
> be added and a fee will be charged using that version. So it is safe to say
> you can continie using and distribute these versions freely.
>
> -' in terms of openness. I cannot ask a developer to look at the code and
> audit the same. Neither I can compile the application for another platform;
> such as Ubuntu or openSUSE.'
>
> Yes unfortunately that part I believe you are right. Though I am keeping
> hope that sich is the case only because it is beta right now and eventually
> those would be sorted out.
> On 26 Apr 2015 16:28, "Ish Sookun" <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
>
>> Hello Shelly,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun <
>> shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I learnt about this alternative word processor which has a very simple
>>> and elegant interface from Arshaad during the career fair at UoM.
>>>
>>> Just sharing it:
>>> http://wri.tt/
>>>

>> ​I checked it and the download page offers a file named
>> Write!-v1.0b8.4.exe
>> ​.​
>> I could not find if the source code of the application is published.
>> Therefore, I don't find this application different from Microsoft Word in
>> terms of openness. I cannot ask a developer to look at the code and audit
>> the same. Neither I can compile the application for another platform; such
>> as Ubuntu or openSUSE.
>>
>> ​The only advantage of the application is that the website does not ask
>> you for money to download it. However, I could neither find a software
>> license for the same. I am thus left in ambiguity on its terms of use. Can
>> I redistribute this app freely? Can I sell it? I can't say. It is important
>> to have a look at license terms of applications especially if you will use
>> the same to produce "professional work". By that I mean if you will produce
>> work for clients.
>>
>> Cheers,​
>>
>> --
>> ​Ish Sookun
>>
>> - Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
>> - I blog at HACKLOG.in.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/IshSookun ^^ Do you tweet?

Some other word processors I've used previously are:
LibreOfficeWriter <https://www.libreoffice.org/>
Poe <http://roryok.com/poe/index.html>
CeltX <https://www.celtx.com/index.html>
WriteMonkey <http://writemonkey.com/>

Poe and writemonkey are clutter-free word processors. I've used both of
these in the past for creative writing.
CeltX is more of a pay2use subscription word processor, it does have a free
package, but after you use the free trial for ~1 week, the free
subscription appears to be less powerful.
Currently, I use googledocs and MSWord just because of google Drive and
OneDrive respectively. Personally I prefer the googledocs since I can
access all the documents on any devices with internet access.
Cheers,
EVad