Re: Alternative Word Processor

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:27:19 +0400

Hello Shelly,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun <
shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I learnt about this alternative word processor which has a very simple and
> elegant interface from Arshaad during the career fair at UoM.
>
> Just sharing it:
> http://wri.tt/

​I checked it and the download page offers a file named
 Write!-v1.0b8.4.exe
​.​
I could not find if the source code of the application is published.
Therefore, I don't find this application different from Microsoft Word in
terms of openness. I cannot ask a developer to look at the code and audit
the same. Neither I can compile the application for another platform; such
as Ubuntu or openSUSE.

​The only advantage of the application is that the website does not ask you
for money to download it. However, I could neither find a software license
for the same. I am thus left in ambiguity on its terms of use. Can I
redistribute this app freely? Can I sell it? I can't say. It is important
to have a look at license terms of applications especially if you will use
the same to produce "professional work". By that I mean if you will produce
work for clients.

Cheers,​

--
​Ish Sookun