Re: Skype

From: Jochen Kirstätter <joki_at_ios.mu>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:58:33 +0400

Hi Nadim,

my bad. Yes, the term is IXP not IPX.

On 18/04/2015 00:23, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
> So we need an IPX before talking about 100Mbit local internet
> connection speed, right?

Well, the IXP should be operated in 1GBit or even 10GBit as it routing
the intra-ISP traffic here on the island.
The major issue right now is simply that almost everything is routed off
the island and then back. This can be easily monitored with traceroute
tools. Even though you might try to access a local site, it's going off
the island. Most interestingly, I even noticed this while being on the
same ISP...

> Can someone tell me what is the role of MIXP[1]? Is it really helping
> internet users here in Mauritius? Or it is only here to
> save International bandwidth, hence save cost incurred by the
> ISPs/members of MIXP?

It's purpose is to keep traffic on the island when it's not necessary to
go international. So, you as a Mauritian ISP customer are trying to
access anything that resides here on the island, then the MIXP should be
doing the proper routing, even though the destination might be a
different, local ISP. The MIXP is like an island-wide switch for the
Mauritian ISP networks. See also "ABout MIXP" [1]

[1] http://www.govmu.org/portal/sites/mixp/about.htm

--
Kind regards,
Jochen Kirstätter