Re: Website security

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:46:21 -0700

Hi Ish,

Congratulations on your appointment to the ICT Advisory Council. :-)

At 02:26 09-04-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>A lot of website designers do nothing more than
>just installing a CMS (WordPress, Joomla etc)
>and putting a purchased/downloaded theme. Those
>themes usually have several dependencies which
>are typically plugins (not developed by
>WordPress team). The issue with some web
>agencies is that they install, put the logo and
>deliver. I guess with the high competition & low
>prices that is all they would do. However, we
>discussed on this ML before that security is a
>minimum that should be advised to the customer.
>Looking at the state of several websites in
>Mauritius, security has not been given attention by web agencies.

Those web agencies sound like WordPress
agencies. I am not sure whether the lack of
security is because of the high competition and
the low price. I guess that the customers may be
seeking advice from people who do not understand
much about web security. It is somewhat like
hiring a fashion designer and expecting the
person to provide web security advice.

>I visited some friends while they participated
>in last year's WebCup[1][2][3]. They used web
>frameworks and build upon some libraries. The
>winning team apparently bought an HTML template
>on the Internet :-) To me that was a blunder as
>the judges could not identify glitches in simple HTML code.

I found the following for last year's WebCup:
http://maurice.webcup.fr/actualites-webcup-maurice-2014/proud-geek-le-grand-gagnant-2014-1007.html
"google" added the following comment:

   "Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. [[ » ] Edit or delete it,
    then start blogging!"

It is faster to buy a HTML template when nobody will notice it. :-)