Re: Security risk to .mu

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 23:29:20 +0400

Hello all,

Taking into consideration the disruption hapenning at banking level, the
cost of impact would be higher than the figures you suggested. We have
local banks that operate with and provide services to regional countries,
namely in the African continent. The .mu domain going offline could bring
several international services to a still.

Through Mauritius Telecom's intnet.mu, orange.mu and myt.mu email services,
thousands of subscribers (including businesses) could face communication
disruptions. Delay in receiving payments, acrruals of interests, several
would follow as long as .mu stays offline.

How about our international image? Are there international companies who
have trusted the .mu domain? Yes[1].
I don't think it would be good for our country's image if Google has to
issue a notifcation stating google.mu is facing technical difficulties.
We're positioning ourself as an IT hub in the Indian Ocean, we'll somehow
lose our credibility

[1] http://ri.mu

*- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.*
* +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+*
* |H|A|C|K|L|O|G|.|i|n|*
* +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ *

*https://twitter.com/IshSookun <https://twitter.com/IshSookun> ^^ Do you
tweet?*

> Dear Sir,
>
> I agree with Mr. Moonesamy about the single point of failure of the .MU.
> My estimate in the event of a failure is Rs 60,000,000 and even more
> depending how much time it takes to recover the .MU.
>
> I recommend that the government carefully study the matter.
>
> My company is a .MU Registrar and I am a member of the .MU Select Commitee.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> *Benoit Gentil*
>
> Director
>

> [image: Fody Technologies Logo]
>

> *59 Sir Celicourt Antelme Avenue*
>
> *Quatre Bornes*
>
> *Mauritius*
>

> *Tel: (230) 466 0065*
>
> *Mob : (230) 5250 2696*
>
> *Fax : (230) 466 0017*
>
> *Website: **www.fodytechnologies.com <http://www.fodytechnologies.com/>*
> On 24/03/2015 00:26, S Moonesamy wrote:
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I would like to bring the following to your attention as it may be of
> interest to the Republic of Mauritius.
>
> The .mu Country Code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) is a single point of
> failure. I performed an analysis to determine the security risk to .mu.
> It was not possible to assess the risk given the lack of visibility in the
> .mu ccTLD. The security risk is rated as unknown. The estimated cost of
> the impact of a .mu failure is Rs 41,000,000.
>
> To avoid any appearance of impropriety I'll disclose that I am serving as
> Cryptographic Officer for the DNS Root Zone and I am the Chair of the .mu
> Select Committee.
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

logo.png