Elements of a successful community

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:21:18 -0700

Hello,

I read about "Elements of a successful community" at
http://jochen.kirstaetter.name/

There are 134 subscribers on this mailing list. There is less than
5% of the subscribers participating in the discussions. The low
participation means that the Mauritius Internet Users is not successful.

- Regular dates, easy accessible locations (and stick to it)

The Mauritius Internet Users does not organise events regularly. It
is left to anyone in the group to take the initiative and organise an
avent. What if nobody does takes the initiative to organise an
event? Please do not expect Ish or I to organise anything.

The expectation from an event is that there is a result. The person
organising the event will be asked whether the expectation were
met. If the expectation was not met the event is considered as a failure.

- Active contribution to social media channels

The Mauritius Internet Users does not have any activity on Facebook.

- Engage with members and ask for assistance

This mailing list is not a place where you can ask everything you
wish and expect someone else to do the work for you for free.

- Work together with other communities

The Mauritius Internet Users has collaborated with the Linux Users
Group Meta. There was a request from Shelly for the group to
collaborate with the Microsoft Student Partners (Mauritius). I would
not say no to that request. The Mauritius Internet Users is
currently represented in a forum which has been set up by the
government. Some persons in the group are also working together with
the Data Protection Office on a project.

As you can see from the above this group does not follow the same
approach as other groups in Mauritius. It is not the objective of
the group to build a successful community. The current objective is
for some persons in this group to have 100 Mbps (local) internet
access at an affordable price by end of 2015. What about the other
persons in the group? Those persons are satisfied with their current
internet access.