Re: Difference between someone who works (was: patriotic feelings or nationalisim?)

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 07:05:20 +0400

Hello,
​

> Hi Nadim,
> At 12:37 19-03-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>
>> First of all what is the difference between someone who works at ICANN
>> and someone who works at IETF or AfriNIC ?
>>

> A person working at ICANN might have some understanding of domain name
> issues; the person would not be familiar with how things work in
> Mauritius. The IETF does not have any staff. A person participating in
> the IETF would not know much about domain name issues. A person working at
> AfriNIC would not know much about domain name issues.

​It's not by working at ICANN, AFRINIC and volunteering at IETF that on
should be expected to know everything and "solve" the .mu issues.
Otherwise, it boils down to "Oh, you're an engineer, can you fix my
computer?"

The .mu problem requires a technical knowledge of DNS, Internet,
Networking, Hosting, High-Availability, Datacenters etc. It also requires
knowledge/expertise over a range of software. I would not expect someone to
be an expert in each of the mention fields and software/applications.

The .mu management needs a revamp over it's policies and management
structure. I will not expect an engineer to be as good in writing policies.

If we're to come on a consensus, I suggest the .mu problems should be
studied, discussed and resolved by a team of people having hands-on
experience in several of the mentioned fields; not by with whom they're
affiliated to.

Regards,

​
Ish Sookun