Broken Internet for school, all financed by our money

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:53:27 +0000

Dear All,

Back when I was a student in high school, we went through the
conversion of our Internet Connection to the Government's IT Internet.

Back when I was a student, we realised that it was more about
political motivation than technical motivation.

-Porn sites were blocked.
(You could work your way around, with a very clever tricks).

-Inability to get DHCP on Linux machines. The was a problem with their
DHCP server. (I'm not sure if it's fixed now)

-Crippled internet.

No access to CVS, SVN, git protocol (git://...), and services like IMs.

Let me try to explain it, you could still connect to IM, but then, it
would try to do that through some proxy, which made your messages slow
to travel.

College Du St Esprit, at my urging, moved back to a standard ADSL line
to provide a better learning environment.

I don't believe that the school IT project favours growth of high
school student who are limited to educational websites. Students need
to get their hands dirty. Downloading code, through SCM, forwarding
port to their machines, and allow others to test their webservers.
Back then, it played a huge part in knowing how networking works in
practice.

Here is what I think would have really helped (and a better investment
of taxpayer's money).

-Subsidised Internet Connection to schools in Mauritius, allowing more
schools to get internet via ADSL, and get static IPs.

-Setting up an educational peering exchange points for Educational environments.

-Wide coverage of wifi on the school compounds. This would have solved
the internet-to-tablet problem.

Kind regards,
//Logan
C-x-C-c

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.