Re: Project owner for .mu

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:39:20 +0400

Hello SM,

Thank you for the updates.

> Hi Ish, Logan,
>
> Please see my notes about the meetings with the .mu registrars. Based on
> the discussions I think that there are the major local .mu registrars are:
>
> register.mu
> Fody Technologies Ltd
> goCloud
>
> as they each manage over 500 .mu domain names. The .mu registrars whom I
> met did not notice the inconsistency at the .mu ccTLD level which occurred
> around the end of last year or the DNS problem affecting several .mu domain
> names. I would have expected the .mu registrars to view the current
> jurisdiction for .mu as a problem as it is strange for two local companies
> to go to a court in another country to resolve any legal issue.

​If I were a registrar I would have consulted my legal advisor to see what
are my chances if there's a dispute with the current registrar.
Jurisdiction might be a serious issue here.

> Is it a good idea to rely on sbmgroup.mu, for example, for online
> banking? The response I have seen is that .mu has been working for the
> last 15 years. In my opinion, we might as well support the state
> (Mauritius) to take any necessary measures so that we can at least have
> some body responding to our concerns if there is any (.mu) problem
> affecting online banking; it is better than the current situation where the
> users are ignored.

​I do not support .mu under the current management/infrastructure because
of various mishaps and flaws noticed in the past and very recently. I do
not advise people with sensitive or high-availability services to set up
under a .mu domain.

It is not a good idea to rely on a .mu domain for Internet Banking, be it
SBM or any other. However, I will not comment on the security aspect in
this thread as it is a subject on its own. If anyone wants to know more
about it please start another thread.​

​Let's just keep this one for the "project ownership" topic and only
highlight the main points.

SM, I would not rely on the "State" to be "responsive" to concerns ;-) You
should know the reasons. State officials have blatantly fail to "enforce" /
"ensure" proper security mechanisms when it comes to online banking.

Regards,​

Ish Sookun

*- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.*
* |H|A|C|K|L|O|G|.|i|n|*