Re: Meeting with .mu registrars

From: S Moonsamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 05:19:10 -0700

Hello,

I'll respond as a representative of the Mauritius Internet Users.

At 12:28 14-03-2015, LEGEKKO INFO LTD wrote:
>Nous sommes des registrars, des portes etendards du .MU Et pourtant,
>nous sommes seul bien souvent sans supervision ou conseil.
>le NIC.mu est la quand on a des soucis meme si parfois on a des
>sueurs froides en attendant l'email avec 48h de delai mais ils sont la.

There isn't unfortunately any venue for .mu registrars to meet and
discuss or to seek advice. The meeting was organised so that .mu
registrar could at least meet each other.

I am also leading the .mu select committee which was set up to work
on the .mu issues. I insisted that there should be a representative
of the .mu registrars on that committee when I found out that
proposed list of members did not contain anyone from .mu registrars.

>Vendre un domain name a $50 et le vendre plus cher sur un marche
>mauricien est difficile si on doit faire du chiffre.
>Le marche est petit et on vend la prestation surtout accompagne
>d'une solution avec hebergement.
>sans ca, c'est la ruine.

I agree that the market is too small for it to be commercially viable.

>Concernant la rapidite de la connection, on est tous a la meme
>enseigne. En esperant que la fibre se democratise qu'on aille plus
>vite, toujours plus vite et moins cher!

I have received similar feedback from other companies. The problem is
that the feedback is not public; I cannot take up the issue with the
Information and Communication Technologies Authority (ICTA).

>Ce que j'aimerai savoir reellement, c'est le role de chacun.
>Le NIC, le Gouvernement, nous et le proprietaire du .MU

The state has complete authority over the persons and property within
its territory. If the government decides that .mu should be under
its control in Mauritius, it has the ability to bring forward
legislation to exercise that control. The government policy, as
expressed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation, is to help in enabling an environment
to address the .mu issues and where initiatives regarding .mu are not
government-led. During a meeting at the Ministry, the government
proposed having a non-profit structure with a neutral status and
member driven for .mu.

The NIC is currently the entity controlling the .mu ccTLD. The .mu
registrars have a commercial relationship with the entity controlling
the .mu ccTLD. What happens if another entity controls the .mu
ccTLD? What would happen to the existing .mu registrars? The .mu
registrars have, if I am not mistaken, a contract with the current
.mu registry. The contract is currently governed by the laws of
England. Would a ruling of that court about another entity which is
not a party to the contract be enforceable in Mauritius?

Is there an authority which decided that the NIC is the "proprietaire
du .MU" and, if so, would it take a position which is against the
government and the people in the country?

What is the role of a .mu registrar in all this? Is it only acting
as a reseller of .mu domain names?

>Le .MU avec l'histoire du gov.mu a perdu de la credibilite.

Agreed.

>Le domain name mauritius.mu toujours indisponible et inutilise...
>
>Je veux parler de la credibilite du .MU aupres de nos clients.
>Pourquoi choisir un .MU en faveur d'un .COM
>Son referencement aupres de Google, pour moi, c'est les vrais
>questions a poser pour nous donner des arguments de ventes et de
>quoi alimenter des points-presse.

Yes.

Thank you for the feedback.