Re: Meeting with .mu registrars in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:14:39 -0800

Dear Sir,

I am copying this message to the Mauritius Internet Users mailing
list as I represented the group in a meeting of the Multi-Stakeholder
Forum which was set up by the Ministry of Technology, Communication
and Innovation. I am also copying the message to the Information and
Communication Technologies Authority.

Thank you for confirming your interesting in participating in a
meeting of .mu registrars in Mauritius. I am waiting for the other
.mu registrars to reply before suggesting a date and venue for the meeting.

I posted my notes of that meeting to the mailing list. It was
mentioned during the meeting that the Government of Mauritius is for
a re-delegation of the .mu ccTLD. The discussions on the mailing
list point to the Mauritius Internet Users being for a re-delegation
of the .mu ccTLD. The outcome of the meeting was to set up a small
select committee to propose a way forward. Mr Gentil will be
representing the .mu registrars on that committee. Mr Dabeesing will
be representing the government side.

In my opinion, it is useful to talk about the problems related to the
.mu ccTLD to find out whether there are real problems or not. After
that talk we can discuss about the alternatives.

I'll comment about the .mu ccTLD. It is has been mentioned that the
ccTLD is worth Rs 800 million. Let's assume that a .mu ccTLD is
making Rs 80 million a year. It's unlikely that the operation (DNS
servers and Whois servers) and providing support to .mu registrars
would cost that much. There is a .mu Policy Development Process at
http://www.nic.mu/index.php/policy-development.html It states that
the procedures are intended to:

   - provide ample opportunity for participation and comment by all
interested parties

   - establish widespread Internet community consensus

I am not aware of any .mu policy where the local Internet Community
had the opportunity to participate and comment. I have not seen any
public message to establish widespread Internet community consensus.