Re: WhatsApp Policy Change

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:39:49 -0700

Hi Aditya,
At 11:43 AM 11-05-2021, Aditya Bholah wrote:
> From a recent article in Le Mauricien [1], I found out that
> WhatsApp will no longer delete/deactivate users' accounts if one
> does not accept its new policy. Are there any other sanctions that
> WhatsApp will apply if we deny the new policy?

You won't be able to access the chat list. You will be able to
answer incoming calls for a few weeks after that. You won't be able
to receive messages and calls after that.

>Also do you think that we may reject this policy change on a
>national level through the Data Protection Office?

It would be useful to have someone with expertise in data protection
in Mauritius and the legislation outside Mauritius to advise you on
how to prepare your case. The Data Protection Office would have to
take a decision on that case. The decision might lead to a policy change.