Re: http://Bing.com proxied via Netherlands

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 00:44:42 -0700

Hi Ajay,
At 11:05 PM 07-05-2021, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:
>The previous explanation given by Netsweeper was that another site
>sharing the same IP address of whatismyip.com (Cloudflare) was
>listed by the Internet Watch Foundation as hosting Child Sexual Abuse content.
>
>Does Microsoft Corporation share its IP addresses for bing.com? If
>not, should Internet users be concerned about using bing.com because
>it's IP address was on the IWF list?

I did a quick test for bing.com a few minutes ago. The IP addresses
used for bing.com operations are for Microsoft. It is a concern if a
search engine, e.g. bing.com, is in the Internet Watch Foundation
list as that list identifies sites used for potentially illegal
activities, according to the IWF.

Looking at the matter from a technical perspective [1], it is
possible for a person in the middle to find out what the IP address
used to access bing.com was searching for by inspecting the metadata.

1. I did not include the assumptions as those technical details are
usually overlooked on the island.