Re: Privacy policy

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 01:46:54 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 09:23 PM 12-04-2018, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Section 4.6 of the Meetup.com privacy policy states:
>
> 4.6 Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
>
> Meetup is based in the United States and the information we collect is
> governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Platform or otherwise
> providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer,
> and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries,
> where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under
> local law.
>
>Article 45 of the EU GDPR states that transfer of personal data to
>another country may take place only if the latter country has adequate
>data protection regulations. If not then specific authorization is required.
>
>Then, isn't Section 4.6 in contrast with the GDPR when saying "you may
>not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law."

The privacy policy for Meetup is not aligned with the European Union
GDPR. I don't have an opinion about whether a European Union citizen
should accept the privacy policy or not. From what I understand, the
data protection "rights" I have are based on the local law. I do not
agree to give that up as I won't have much of a say when something
goes wrong in future.