Re: Internet shutdown proposal

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 08:37:16 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 04:59 13-04-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I replied to you on the AFRINIC ML. The article [1] about 'Facebook
>censorship in Mauritius' is still available. Could you please let me
>know which error you obtained earlier?

Thanks for providing the correct URL. I got a 404 when I accessed
the link yesterday.

>By the way, I read some of the emails on the "internet shutdown" thread,
>and I'd like to know your opinion on whether AFRINIC can actually shut
>down the government of Mauritius?

The information which I am using about IPv4 address usage is from
2016 [1]. The government has been assigned 256 IPv4 addresses. I
don't think that it would make much of a difference if Afrinic were
to "take away" those addresses. My reading of the proposal and the
emails from the authors is that the proposal cannot be used to shut
down the government.

1. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/ipv4-usage-mauritius.html