Understanding the local context for an IXP

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 12:38:59 -0800

Hi Brian,

I read your message about the IGF and Internet Exchange Points
(IXP). About a year ago, I looked into the route taken for local
traffic in Mauritius as an Internet Exchange Point had been set up (
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/one-km-international-travel.html ). The
local Internet Exchange Point is operated by the RIR for the region
and yet its internet traffic is routed outside the country.

I agree that an understanding of the local context is important for
an IXP. Unfortunately, there isn't any independent study after the
IXP has been set up to understand the local problems which prevented
the IXP from turning into a fully-fleged IXP.