Deceptive advertising, "Emtel Wifi Plus: l'internet en illimité chez vous"

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 06:34:20 +0000

Dear Sir/Madam,

I visited the website of Emtel Ltd (www.emtel.com).

Your company advertises a service called "Emtel Wifi Plus". The following page (https://www.emtel.com/emtel-wifi-internet) has a banner (attached) that focuses on "Emtel Wifi Plus: l'internet en illimité chez vous". The same banner mentions two internet packages, one with a 100GB limit and second with 75GB limit. The banner also has a note that says "conditions applicables". In the footer of the same page there is a link to the "terms and conditions". Those terms and conditions only cover the usage of the web portal, i.e www.emtel.com and not the service advertised. I visited the website's FAQ page (https://www.emtel.com/faq) and there still isn't anything related to the terms & conditions of the advertised product. No information is provided as per the 100GB and 75GB limits of Emtel Wifi Plus.

These two limits, in my opinion, refers to the monthly bandwidth limit. As such the bandwidth limit is not "illimité" for the advertised product.

The banner has no reference to the internet speed offered to the customer. In my opinion, again, I assume that Emtel Ltd is not offering unlimited internet speed to the customer. Thus I conclude that Emtel Ltd has a misleading/deceptive advertisement regarding its Emtel Wifi Plus service.

Could you please clarify the word "illimité" as used in the advertisement?

I am writing an article to advise consumers what to consider when choosing an internet package. I await your reply at the soonest. I will publish my article mentioning "no reply" from Emtel Ltd if I do not obtain the same in 72 hours.

I am copying this message to the Consumer Protection Unit for their advice and the Mauritius Internet Users mailing list for archiving and discussion purposes.

Wifi_Plus_Offer_Web_inside_page.png
(image/png attachment: Wifi_Plus_Offer_Web_inside_page.png)