Information and Communication Technologies Authority licences

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 03:00:57 -0800

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wrote to Dr Soyjaudah on 30 August to request some information
about Information and Communication Technologies Authority
licences. I was waiting for a reply until I came across a news
article [1] which stated that Dr Soyjaudah has been layed off (
http://www.lexpress.mu/article/291626/icta-sunjiv-soyjaudah-licencie
). I am resending my request to the Information and Communication
Technologies Authority in case my previous request was lost.

I am doing some research about the Information and Communication
Technologies Authority (ICTA) licences. According to the Mauritius
Internet Exchange Point (MIXP) web site the Internet Exchange Point
is registered to OTAM. I could not find any licence issued to OTAM
or MIXP at https://www.icta.mu/telecommunications/licences.htm Is a
company required to have a licence from Information and Communication
Technologies Authority to operate an Internet Exchange Point?

There are locations such as hotels [1][2] and restaurants which
provide free WiFi access. The ICTA web site does not list any
licence issued to any companies operating hotels or restaurants. Is
such a company required to have a licence from the Information and
Communication Technologies Authority to provide free WiFi access?

There are several companies in Mauritius offering electronic commerce
services. Is such a company required to have a licence from the
Information and Communication Technologies Authority for electronic commerce?

Services such as Skype and WhatsApp are commonly used in
Mauritius. The ICTA web site does not list any licence for Internet
Telephony Service. Has the Information and Communication
Technologies Authority performed any study to find out whether local
businesses, excluding those with an ILD licence, are at a
disadvantage compared to, for example, WhatsApp because of
Information and Communication Technologies Authority licensing requirements?

1.
https://www.kayak.com/Balaclava-Hotels-InterContinental-Resort-Mauritius.204019.ksp
2. https://www.kayak.com/Balaclava-Hotels-Maritim-Hotel-Mauritius.86311.ksp