Ransomeware issue and awareness

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:03:29 +0000

Hello SM,

My colleague recently received an email where the recipient section was blank and it had an attachment named 'receipt'. She opened the email and some of her files were automatically deleted from her computer. Some days later, our IT team sent a 'communique' by email saying that there is a serious issue with ransomware these day and that we need to make sure that the email received is not a 'spam' /unwanted email. We have been told to contact them in case we find any email suspicious before clicking on it.

Regarding that 'receipt' attachment, I thought that ransomware would imply receiving an email or a notification or pop-up requesting a certain amount of cash in order to retrieve the lost data but nothing happened. So, was it really ransomware or just some virus? Is there a way to scan emails in order to avoid such issue? Is antivirus or is there an alternative software which is more reliable?

Kind regards,

Shelly Hermia Bhujun