Re: Cybercrime incidents reported in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:38:21 +0400

Hi SM,

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Did you receive a reply from CERT-MU?

No. I did not receive any more information after the "banner statistics" email.

> Half of the "cybercrime incidents" reported in August were about "fake
> accounts". My guess is that it is related to Facebook. I read a blog
> article about a fake profile of a president of the republic (
> http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/test.png ). Any Facebook user in Mauritius can
> tell you whether it is indeed difficult to create such a profile.

The Police do not seem to keep pace with changing technologies. As a
result their understanding of cybercrime and methods are weird if not
archaic. I cannot generalize without any data available but that's the
opinion I draw based on personal experience.

Cheers,