Re: Open Source Strategy

From: Rajnish Hawabhay <rhawabhay_at_govmu.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 02:02:06 +0000

Hello SM

Thank you for your email about open source and open data.

Government decided to move forward with an action plan for the open source
as per decision taken on 20 May 2016 and given below:

  "Cabinet has agreed to the implementation of the National Open Source
Action Plan for the operationalisation of the National Open Source Policy
and the National Open Source Strategy. The objective of the Policy and the
Strategy is to create the right environment for the adoption, development
and use of Open Source Software in the public, private and educational
sectors, as well as the civil society. The Open Source Software is used as
a lever for the development of the information society, enhancing the
competitiveness of the economy and lowering financial and technical
barriers to access new ICT technologies.˛

We are taking steps towards implementing the above decision.

As regards open data, we are currently studying the World Bankšs final
Open Data Readiness Assessment report. Also, budget 2016/2017 makes
provision for an open data portal. Necessary action has been initiated.

Regards

Rajnish Hawabhay

On 8/1/16, 12:51 AM, "S Moonesamy" <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

>Hi Rajnish,
>
>I was reading about the Open Source Strategy for Mauritius. The
>following is under national considerations:
>
> "Imagine the implications to a sovereign nation if the electronic
>records
> of its citizens are kept in databases that can be accessed readily
>only
> by proprietary software from a foreign vendor or the documents of the
> government are kept in a format that belongs to a vendor who thus has
> total control over its accessibility both now and in the future."
>
>In September 2015, I sent a request for the technical specifications
>for the National Identity Card to understand whether it is "safe" or
>not. The request is still pending.
>
>In April 2016, the government agreed to the National Open Data
>Policy. Paragraph 143, in the budget speech, is related to Open
>Data. I prefer not to ask about the Open Data report as it does not
>seem like the Ministry is interested in encouraging people interested
>in Open Data. It is very difficult to convince people in Mauritius
>that, nowadays, technology is more about data instead of computers or
>software.
>
>The Strategy has the following: "OSS, OS, OC baseline in Mauritius is
>very fragmented and there is virtually no exchange of
>information". It is easier to find out which open standard is in use
>in another country than to find out which standard is in use in Mauritius.
>
>The Strategy also mentions that "as fragmented OSS baseline and lack
>of potential leader/promoter are among the biggest obstacles in
>developing a sustainable and efficient ecosystem, the main
>organizational initiatives have to be initiated, coordinated and
>measured by the GoM". Would a government-led ecosystem have the
>dynamics for it to develop into an ecosystem which is self-sustainable?
>
>Regards,
>S. Moonesamy

Disclaimer Notice:

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is intended for the addressee only, and may contain confidential information. The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained within it is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the author and delete this e-mail (including any attachments) immediately in its entirety.

This e-mail message has been swept by a virus checker for the presence of known computer viruses. Besides, any opinion or other information in this email (including any attachments) that does not have anything to do with the official business of the Government of Mauritius, is personal to the author, and therefore does not engage any liability whatsoever of the Government of Mauritius.

The above statement does not constitute an acceptance of liability on the part of the Government of Mauritius or its employees in the event of technical or virus issues generated by this e-mail. It is the responsibility of the recipient to take adequate security measures. Further, the Government of Mauritius or its employees do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information contained in the email (including any attachments) and/or reliance or its availability at any time. The recipient must also verify/check any information with the relevant Government department(s) and/or other source(s), and to obtain any appropriate professional advice before acting on the contents of this email (including any attachments).