Re: IPv4 addresses

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 10:21:28 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 08:39 26-06-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>The encouragement does not need to come directly from the government,
>but rather the government engaging ISPs like Mauritius Telecom and Emtel
>for their Innovation framework in terms of getting them onboard for the
>IPv6/IPv4 transition. Emtel, Orange and the other ISPs are the one
>building the "roads" for Internet of things "vehicles".

I have attended a few "national" conferences which were
internet-related. I didn't see anyone from Emtel giving a
presentation. I agree that it would be a positive step if there is
engagement with Mauritius Telecom and Emtel to get those two
companies on board. I doubt that the other ISPs currently have the
customer base or anything innovative to offer.

>I have spoken to businesses who are interested in offering "Camera
>Surveillance as a service". I've been told that they are looking at the
>IP usage as they are looking for public IPv4 for each of them. In the
>face of depleting IPv4 address space, they are talking to their
>suppliers regarding the "Ipv6-readiness" of those devices.

Ok.

>I personally believe that Mauritius can learn from the failures of IPv6
>transition in the US, such as purely dynamic IPv6 address from comcast,
>which cause end-users issues. I believe that /48 static IPv6 is the
>proper way forward, via a mechanism like DHCPv6 Prefix delegation for
>Fiber/copper cable links. For cellular networks, I believe that 464xlat
>looks like a good solution forward in the face of no ipv4 addresses
>left, and still maintaining connectivity to content available only over
>IPv4.

I was not in favour of static IPv6 prefixes for residential users as
there are privacy implications. I have not been following the
discussions about cellular networks lately; I am aware of the Android
issue though. The considerations for cellular networks are different
from the ones for FTTH.

>I would be happy to engage with the local Internet communities during
>AFRINIC-25.

Ok. :-)

>I take your suggestion of calling them "digital content providers" into
>account. Depends on their audience. lexpress.mu also has traffic from
>outside from Mauritius. Those are usually Mauritians who are living in
>other countries:
>It has around 7.8% of its traffic from France, and 6.7% of its traffic
>from the UK, according to alexa( http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/lexpress.mu).

According to web site, 27% of its visitors are from outside Mauritius.

>A better example would wikipedia I suppose ?

I would choose www.facebook.com. The latency can be between 75 ms to
318 ms or more.