Re: IPv4 addresses

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 03:58:46 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 22:03 25-06-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>coming years is, in terms of National strategy. The minister
>mentioned that there are more smartphones sold in Mauritius that the
>population of Mauritius itself. This suggests that there is still a
>growing need for IP connectivity, despite the small size of the island.

I agree that there will be an increase in connectivity as the island
has a very high mobile phone penetration. I am not sure about the IP
address usage as I have not looked into it.

>I believe that everybody needs to be involved in any plan that can
>be executed successfully.
>
>1) Government
>The ministry needs to encourage ISPs to grow their IPv4 resource
>space in the short term with respect to their expected growth in the
>coming years. We should be realistic as a lot of content on the
>Internet is still accessible over IPv4 only. We will need IPv4, even
>after a successful migration to IPv6.

There are two ISPs: Mauritius Telecom and Emtel. It doesn't look
like Emtel is encouraged by the government.

>2) Businesses
>I've seen some interesting companies building Internet of Things in
>Mauritius, that they sell either locally or Internationally. In the
>US, the penetration of IPv6 is around 20%,

I have seen some interesting stuff done locally. I wouldn't call it
the Internet of Things as there aren't that many devices. I looked
at the IP address usage for Mauritius. I didn't find any
significant usage of IPv4 addresses by local businesses.

>(Figures from here:
><https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption>https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption)
>
>If those IOT companies target the EU/US market, they need to have
>products that have been tested on IPv6, before shipping them to
>those countries, or there might be massive product recall. It's
>important to understand the trend that the growth of IPv6 in EU/US
>is EXPONENTIAL, not linear.

It is easy to guess why there has been an increase in IPv6 adoption
in the U.S. :-) I doubt that it is related to IoT.

>I don't think that local iot businesses would like reviews/product
>recalls like NEST:

Are there product recalls in Mauritius?

>3) End-users
>How many end-users are buying products that are linked to the
>Internet nowadays ? Many. One might argue that cramming those
>devices behind a single public IPv4 address is an acceptable
>solution. However, will this still be the case as other parts of the
>world are taking advantage of Ipv6 for better user experience ? With
>IPv6, One could get roughly 1,208,907,372,870,555,465,154,560 IPv6
>address from a reasonable ISP.

It seems like you are making a case for IPv6. I'll wait to be
invited for questions about that. :-)

>4) Content providers
>
>Going through the list of TOP 10 content providers for Mauritius from Alexa:
>list obtained from
>(<http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/MU>http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/MU),
>and some quick tests using ping:
>
>1- youtube - IPv6 enabled.
>2- facebook.com - IPv6 enabled (still some issues with chat window)
>3- google.mu - IPv6 enabled.
>4- google.com - IPv6 enabled.
>5- lexpress.mu - NO IPv6 connectivity. (Simple test : ping6
><http://www.lexpress.mu>www.lexpress.mu, result -> unknown host)
>6-yahoo.com - IPv6 enabled.
>7-bing.com - NO IPv6 connectivity (ping6
><http://www.bing.com>www.bing.com -> result - unknown host)
>8-topfmradio.com - NO IPv6 connectivity (ping6 topfmradio.com ->
>result unknown host)
>9-wikipedia.com - IPv6 enabled.
>10-live.com - NO IPv6 connectivity (ping6 live.com -> result unknown host)

Some of those web sites switched globally instead of enabling IPv6 by
country. It does not make any difference for Mauritius as there
aren't any ISPs offering IPv6 access for residential customers. I
doubt that there are many business customers with IPv6 access. It is
encouraging to see that the University of Mauritius enabled IPv6 for
its web site.

>I would argue that right now, those content providers who HAVE NO
>IPv6 connectivity are experiencing a degraded user experience
>world-wide as 12% of the world can reach google through IPv6. This
>means that in order to access those sites from regions that use IPv6
>(due to Ipv4 depletion), there has to be a translator mechanism to
>allow those Ipv6-only end-users to access those websites that are
>IPv4-only. A translator mechanism would incur additionally latency,
>and therefore affect the user experience. Negative user experience
>means losing revenue for content providers.

 From a network perspective local companies are not content
providers. At the moment I would list them as digital content
providers. It would be difficult to argue for IPv6 in the current ecosystem.

Outside Mauritius, negative user experience can cause a loss in
revenue. I wonder whether that is the case in Mauritius as I have
encountered a few web sites which perform poorly for several
months. The additional "translation" latency is insignificant in
comparison with the high latency people are used to in Mauritius.

>5) ISP
>
>ISPs need to be able to provide both IPv4 and IPv6, as
>realistically, A lot of content is still accessible over Iv4 only.
>However, with the Ipv4 depletion, we will reach a point where we
>will only be able to give Ipv6 addresses, and we need to make sure
>that the IPv6 network that the ISP provides is as good as it's IPv4 network.

Yes.

>Let me explain this point:
>If an ISP offers IPv6, and the customers complain that Google is
>"slow" with IPv6. It might be an issue with the ISP not being able
>to build a high quality IPv6 network.

I don't think that it is a problem for Mauritius Telecom as it has a
Google cache on its network.

>Of course, with shrinking Ipv4 addresses, it will be harder for ISPs
>to cope with the demand for Internet, and they need to plan and
>deploy Ipv6 soon.

There is already extensive use of NAT locally. At the moment it
looks like it is the favoured approach as there does seem to be the
type of need for interconnectivity.