Re: Mauritius Government database "compromised"?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:07:12 +0400

Hi Nirvan,

On 03/21/2016 04:41 PM, Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah wrote:

> Firstly, from my point of view, this may be some 'old' as, if it was
> something highly sensitive, one won't wait for a 'cyber-crime' workshop
> to voice out something related to hacking. Definitely I won't wait
> forsomething big to voice out my concerns. But anyway, the good thing
> ishe did a public declaration unlike others.

There is also an article on defimedia.info
(http://defimedia.info/cybercriminalite-la-base-de-donnees-du-ministere-des-infrastructures-publiques-piratee-22244).

It is said that the "hack" happened last week and the enquiry is still
on. Who is enquiring, I can't say? Was any complaint lodge at the Cyber
Crime Unit, I don't know either?

At this stage I can only congratulate the Minister for making the public
declaration, unlike others in the past that would rather cover up any
flaw in their system. Though we're a long way from achieving
praiseworthy transparency, this declaration is one good example.

> According to the video in the article, the minister says that someone
> did a copy of the database and that person is manipulating with the data
> stored (on that copy?) from outside ("à l'extérieur"). Something is
> wrong here. I guess he wrongly explained himself due to the lack of IT
> knowledge but as you mentioned, "piratée/hacked" isn't the right word here.

I understood that the person can access the database remotely and also
made a copy of the same.

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu