Re: Front-end developer

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 10:55:08 -0800

Hello,
At 08:55 06-03-2016, Yuv Joodhisty wrote:
>My personal thought about a front-end developer
>is someone who deal with everything that the end
>user will use to communicate with the website,
>i.e. the interface. The task that he/she is
>entitled to do depends on the Company. A FED
>from Company A might need to do some basic task
>in PHP while another FED from Company B will
>never have to write a single line of PHP. The
>hierarchy that a company adopt, will dictate the task for the FED. Example:
>
>Company A: Wants to have people to work on
>projects and they all have to report to Senior
>
>Top level Positions*
>|
>Senior / Team leader
>|
>Software Engineer 1, Software Engineer 2 <-> Software Engineer 3
>
>Company A employs software engineers to work on
>projects where they need to do both backend and
>front-end. Som BED will work individually on a
>project while others may work in team depending on the projects.

You'll need experienced developers for the
above. The project would be limited to pixel mapping.

>Company B: wants to employ people withmore
>specific tasks, who will report to a Senior
>
>Top level Positions*
>|
>Senior / Team Leader
>|
>Backend Dev 1 <-> Front-end Dev 1, Backend Dev 2 <-> Front-end Dev 2
>
>Company B employs a BED and a FED who
>collaborate together in a single project. So
>here a FED should know some basics of PHP, or
>the language they are using for their
>application, because he will work closely with
>the BED and he need to understand what the BED
>is providing to know how he will make this
>available to the end user. And on the other
>side, the BED need to know what the FED needs so he can provide him.
>
>Example the FED is working on a page where the
>details of a product will be displayed. The BED
>will then create a function / api to provide him with those details.
>

>Company C: wants more specific tasks who will report to a Senior.
>
>Top level Positions*
>|
>Senior / Team Leader
>|
>BED <-> Integrator <-> FED <-> Graphic Designer
>
>Company C will hace a Backend Dev who will work
>with an Integrator, who will also collaborate with a Front-end Dev.
> * The BED works on the application components
> * The FED will get his tasks from a Graphic Designer.
> * The Graphic Designer design the UI
> * And the Integrator merges the work of the FED with the one of the BED
>
>This is just a general idea of the tasks they
>perform. As I said, it depends on the company
>employing the developer, and this scenario i
>gave might not reflect the real task of a
>front-end developer. And i don't think that the
>job of a FED will fade away. Yes `HTML, CSS and
>JavaScript are becoming morefeature-rich` and
>`JavaScript, specially, is evolving as a
>client-side scripting language to a server-side
>scripting language` but you will still need
>someone to work on the logic of the system, and
>someone to work on the ui. Javascript evolving
>to a server side language doesn't mean the BED
>get the tasks of a FED. It all goes to how the Company structure is.

Nirvan provided a list of skills which are
required. The local approach is to look at the
web in terms of programming (Front-end
developer/Back-end-developer). What is missing,
in my opinion, is a digital designer. I was
watching a video about how Netflix generates its
recommendations. I am not sure whether the
average Front-end developer and Back-end
developer would be able to do that as I don't see
that type of web site in Mauritius. I would not
pick the Company C approach as the Intergrator
does not seem to be bringing in skills which a
project would usually require. A lot of the
above depends on the skills of the Front-end developer and Back-end developer.

>And with all the frameworks available as well as
>design patterns such as Object Relational
>Mapping (ORM), a backend dev might never have to
>write SQL. So the company can employ another
>database administrator / architect to manage the database.

I would not suggest a database administrator for
a small web site. I consider a web site getting
three million page views monthly as small. If
there are problems you might look for a person
who is proficient in SQL to "fix" issues which
usually happen due to bad architecture. In other
countries people do not hire a database architect to manage the database. :-)

>And a small question, how would you call someone
>who create the whole website? i.e. has to work
>on backend, front-end, sql, server admin, well everything about the website?

In Mauritius it would be web developer.

Yuv, thanks for the above. I looked at job
postings for web developers. One of the
requirements was BAC+5 and five years experience
[1]. A French web developer is responsible for:

  - L’analyse des besoins
  - Le choix de la solution technique
  - Le développement de toutes les fonctionnalités techniques du site
  - Le respect des bonnes pratiques de codage
  - Les tests et la validation des fonctionnalités développées
  - La formation du client
  - Support technique
  - Corrections des problèmes

I don't know whether it is the practice in Mauritius to get code reviews [2].

1.
http://www.lesjeudis.com/emploi/detail-developpeur-web-confirme-jhm7kx6ydy3mzqnw57x
2.
http://www.metaltoad.com/sites/default/files/you_down_wit_OPC-yeah_you_know_me.png