Re: Front-end developer

From: Yuv Joodhisty <locustv2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 20:55:07 +0400

Hi Guys,

My personal thought about a front-end developer is someone who deal with
everything that the end user will use to communicate with the website, i.e.
the interface. The task that he/she is entitled to do depends on the
Company. A FED from Company A might need to do some basic task in PHP while
another FED from Company B will never have to write a single line of PHP.
The hierarchy that a company adopt, will dictate the task for the FED.
Example:

Company A: Wants to have people to work on projects and they all have to
report to Senior

Top level Positions*

Senior / Team leader

Software Engineer 1, Software Engineer 2 <-> Software Engineer 3

Company A employs software engineers to work on projects where they need to
do both backend and front-end. Som BED will work individually on a project
while others may work in team depending on the projects.

Company B: wants to employ people withmore specific tasks, who will report
to a Senior

Top level Positions*

Senior / Team Leader

Backend Dev 1 <-> Front-end Dev 1, Backend Dev 2 <-> Front-end Dev 2

Company B employs a BED and a FED who collaborate together in a single
project. So here a FED should know some basics of PHP, or the language they
are using for their application, because he will work closely with the BED
and he need to understand what the BED is providing to know how he will
make this available to the end user. And on the other side, the BED need to
know what the FED needs so he can provide him.

Example the FED is working on a page where the details of a product will be
displayed. The BED will then create a function / api to provide him with
those details.

Company C: wants more specific tasks who will report to a Senior.

Top level Positions*

Senior / Team Leader

BED <-> Integrator <-> FED <-> Graphic Designer

Company C will hace a Backend Dev who will work with an Integrator, who
will also collaborate with a Front-end Dev.

   - The BED works on the application components
   - The FED will get his tasks from a Graphic Designer.
   - The Graphic Designer design the UI
   - And the Integrator merges the work of the FED with the one of the BED

This is just a general idea of the tasks they perform. As I said, it
depends on the company employing the developer, and this scenario i gave
might not reflect the real task of a front-end developer. And i don't think
that the job of a FED will fade away. Yes `HTML, CSS and JavaScript are
becoming morefeature-rich` and `JavaScript, specially, is evolving as a
client-side scripting language to a server-side scripting language` but
you will still need someone to work on the logic of the system, and someone
to work on the ui. Javascript evolving to a server side language doesn't
mean the BED get the tasks of a FED. It all goes to how the Company
structure is.

And with all the frameworks available as well as design patterns such as
Object Relational Mapping (ORM), a backend dev might never have to write
SQL. So the company can employ another database administrator / architect
to manage the database.

And a small question, how would you call someone who create the whole
website? i.e. has to work on backend, front-end, sql, server admin, well
everything about the website?

BED - Backend Developer
FED - Front-end Developer
, - individually