Re: Growing ICT talent (was stage of development)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:05:28 -0800

Hi Shane,
At 07:02 29-02-2016, Vy-Shane Sin Fat wrote:
>The really valuable skills aren't tied to specific technologies. For
>example, is it better to be an expert Linux sysadmin, or is it
>better be be an expert at building scalable systems? Maybe that it's
>not a fair comparison. It's harder to become an expert at the
>latter. I believe that the best combo is having a broad base and the
>ability to ramp up quickly when having to learn a new technology.
>When faced with the task of building a mobile application, if the
>expert web developer automatically reaches for Cordova, then the
>best app that he will be able to come up with will probably be
>fairly mediocre. Isn't it better to embrace the target platform
>instead and build a native app?

A broad experience helps when the person is beginning his/her
career. Specializing in a technology comes after that. I agree that
the person should have the ability to ramp up quickly to learn
another technology. As for the comparison it is up to the person to
find out what he/she will be good at and whether employers will be
looking for that expertise.

I would discuss the matter with the web developer (and the rest of
the team) to determine whether to build a native app or not.

>I think that it is definitely useful to keep abreast of the local
>industry trends. Unless you are doing remote work for offshore
>companies, it pays to be alert so that you can spot opportunities,
>or at least have enough information to be able to plan ahead.
>However, I wouldn't look to the local scene to identify interesting
>technologies. For that I tend to follow what's happening in the tech
>industry worldwide. I think that most of us do that?

I follow what is happening in a specific country. I find local input
valuable as what is interesting may not be applicable to the island.