Re: Stage of development

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:39:13 -0800

Hi Shane,
At 06:30 25-02-2016, Vy-Shane Sin Fat wrote:
>One could argue that culture is the hardest thing to change. Our
>democracy is much younger than the United States', but we have one
>thing right now that they didn't have for much of their history: The
>Internet. I know that people like to diss Facebook in this mailing
>list, but I believe that the Facebook generation of Mauritians will
>be much more open to change than the previous generations.

The internet as a communication mechanism has opened up access to
information which was not previously available. There is a business
angle to the Facebook discussion.

The point was that this is a relatively young country. While the
island might have a culture which spans several decades, some
countries have cultures which span several centuries.

>I assume that the student is studying ICT? Meetups can often provide
>the support network for ICT people. In Mauritius there is the MSCC
>of course. Unfortunately the MSCC isn't very active online. An IRC
>or Slack channel would have been very useful. I get more value out
>of the online channels of some meetup groups that I've joined than
>out of their formal or informal gatherings.

Yes, the student was studying computer science. This is tied to the
recent discussion about mentorship. A support network supplements
mentorship; it is not a substitute to mentorship. I too used to get
more value out of online channels.

>I don't mind sharing my experience. I can be pretty opinionated (not
>necessarily a good thing) and have the propensity to get pretty
>enthusiastic and evangelical about technologies that I think are
>awesome. I don't co nsider myself an expert (an overused term,
>IMHO), but I'd be delighted to talk shop if anyone is interested.

It's interesting to have those little technical "fights" once in a
while. :-) I rarely get the opportunity to talk shop.