Commission d’enquête sur la drogue: l’Icta

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:58:46 +0400

Mr Dabeesing Sir,
I have taken cognizance of the statement you have given to Defimedia
Group [1]. As a concerned citizen, I applaud your interest in the drug
issue which has plagued our country for far too long. I assume your line
of action is based on studies on the online drug trafficking affecting
the Republic of Mauritius and would be grateful if you could provide us
with facts and figures in this regard.

Such information might be vital as to the consideration of whether it is
justified to dedicate drug combatting resources to internet filtering
logistics as opposed to the pressing need for control at drug entry
points (airport and seaport being the only ones in the Republic of
Mauritius), continuous support of the Natresa & ADSU and promoting
education & awareness. The necessity of such information becomes even
more imperative following your admission of the lack of guarantee of
results on drug trafficking following the implementation of the proposed
system, specially in a time of economic duress and the vision of the
government to become a result-oriented nation free from frivolties.

Moreover may I use this opportunity to highlight the ambiguity of the
following clause in the ICT Act:

> Section 18 - Functions of the Authority
> (1) The Authority shall -
> …
> (m) take steps to regulate or curtail the harmful and illegal
content on the
Internet and other information and communication services;
> …

Whereas “illegal” can be easily defined as that which is in breach of
Laws of Mauritius, “harmful” may lend itself to a wider interpretation,
such that it may relate to anything that may be detrimental to the
Republic of Mauritius, including, but not limited to:
- child pornography
- hate speech and promotion of sedition
- fraud
- any service that may inhibit or otherwise suppress the freedom of
opinion and expression, as per the Universal Declarations of Human
Rights, article 19 [2]

In this regard, I believe, should the ICT Act be amended, or otherwise
updated, as is necessary, this issue should be addressed.

As for the internet filtering system in place, and the one proposed,
would it be possible, in spirit of good governance, to provide
information the mechanism of such a process, i.e. any data which is
collected from users, the storage location and manner thereof such that
the citizens of the Republic of Mauritius be reassured that their rights
to security and privacy, as defined by the Data Protection Act, be
respected.

[1]
https://soundcloud.com/radioplus-3/commission-denquete-sur-la-drogue-licta-veut-mieux-superviser-les-activites-illegales-sur
[2] http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

P.S: For the sake of transparency I am putting the Mauritius Internet
Users mailing list in copy of this email.

I thank you sir for your time, and rely on your professionalism and
patriotism to respond to an very concerned citizen of the Republic of
Mauritius

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞
✍ fx_at_fluxy.net