Re: ICTA working on regulations to filter and control "harmful" content on the internet

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 04:30:44 +0400

Hi Ajay,

On 01/21/2016 01:30 AM, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, blasphemy is not a crime in Mauritius. I
> have not read the acqual communique but I am hoping the Ministry of ICT
> was looking for a different word than blasphemy to convey its message.

In my opinion, ICTA will treat them as harmful. The current mention of
"harmful" under Section 18(1)(m) of the ICT Act 2001 may lead to
different interpretations & can debated. I believe ICTA is trying to
document "blasphemy" as "harmful" and the law shall enact.

> If the Ministry of ICT considers blasphemy to be harmful and needs to be
> censored, it is sending a chilling message to myself and other citizens
> who like me don't have reasons to believe in the existence of god and
> deities and who like to openly express their opinion about their lack of
> belief, something which is constitutionally protected.

Yes. I agree.

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.