Re: Startup ecosystem

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 03:03:22 -0800

Hello,
At 06:01 15-01-2016, Stephen Naicken wrote:
>And to add to this, it is clear that the public sector cannot employ
>talent at the same rate as in the past. If the private sector does
>not grow sufficiently to absorb graduates, then some young people
>may well be faced with the choice of unemployment, migration, or
>involvement in a local startup either as a founder or employee.

Yes, that could happen.

>So ironically, economic slowdown in Mauritius may well be the
>catalyst to drive the creation of startups. The risks entailed with
>a startup may seem more attractive in a downturn. Those struggling
>to find a salaried position may find it is the better alternative.

I didn't think of the above alternative.

I would not look at startups as being about job creation. In terms
of development, it could help with the transition from underdeveloped
to developed. R&D capacity cannot be built within a short time
frame. There could be knowledge spillovers.