Re: Startup Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 08:46:28 -0800

Hello,

I thanked LSL Digital for kindly offering a venue for the panel
discussion about the start-up scene in Mauritius. The event was
co-hosted by Ruth Rajaysur and I. A video of the panel discussion
will be available within a week. There is a news article, this
morning, about the event in L'Express.

The event started at 10:47 and ended at 12:15. Although the event
ran within the allotted time I am not satisfied about my planning as
the event did not start at 10:30 as scheduled. I would like to thank
Shelly for helping with the co-ordination of the event and Sandeep
for providing advice about the panel discussion and helping out with
the logistics.

The objective of the event was about fostering engagement through a
panel discussion about start-ups in Mauritius. The discussion
happened. As the discussion was unfocused I don't think that the
objective was reached. In my opinion, Ish did a good job as
representative of the Mauritius Internet Users. I unfortunately had
to turn down the request made by representative of the Mauritius
Internet Users for more time to respond to the comments made by the
Project Manager, Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation
as I would be showing bias.

Was there start-up success stories which will convince the
audience? Was there a good discussion about start-up hurdles? I
suggest watching the video for answers to those two questions.

There was a question from Shelly about whether there would be any
advantage for start-ups if residential internet users had 100 Mbps
local access to the internet at an affordable price. The response
from Mr Suraj Ramgolam, representing the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation, was that it would be a game-changer.

At 02:35 04-01-2016, Arnaud M wrote:
>Good kick-off for this year - looking forward for a follow-up on
>this first initiative very soon.
>
>On key things that am keeping n mind of of the discussion: is that
>the 'context' for setting up startup in each and every country is
>different and should not be neglected.

I'll need people with expertise (which this group does not have) to
be able to follow up on today's event. It's also not doable without
funding. There is a high risk.

I agree that the context is different in each country and that it
should be taken into account. There is very little local information
available for even a preliminary assessment. It is a struggle to get
access to data in Mauritius. Nobody has offered to help in overcoming that.