RE: Mauritius Internet Foundation?

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 21:53:30 +0400

Hello Ish,

> There has been numerous discussions on the mailing list to register
> Mauritius Internet Users as an association, at least giving it a
> recognizable stature and not appear like a loosely knit group.

Thank you for bringing this out. It has been a while.
I remember there was a thread where some subscribers
started sharing their opinions on this. [1]

> During one of the weekly calls, where we discussed about registering the
> group, SM proposed the word "foundation". I did some research and came
> up with Section 7(1)(f) of the Foundations Act 2012 of Mauritius:
>
> (7) Charitable Foundation
> (1) A Foundation shall be a charitable Foundation where is has as its
> exclusive purpose or object-
> (a) the relief of poverty;
> (b) the advancement of education;
> (c) the advancement of religion;
> (d) the protection of the environment;
> (e) the advancement of human rights and fundamental freedoms; or
> (f) any other purpose beneficial to the public in general

Thank you for sharing your research.

> We say the Mauritius Internet Users aims to achieve advancement of
> internet in Mauritius. How about having a Mauritius Internet Foundation
> that supports the work of the Mauritius Internet Users?

It is a good suggestion. I remember we discussed about it in one of the Weekly Skype meetings.
Maybe we could allocate a 5 mins slot in our Weekly Skype meeting to track our progress regarding
the association. What do you guys think?

>Credits to SM
> for having suggested the use of foundation rather than association.

I would like to give credits to both SM and Jean-Philippe as they were the first
persons to work on it. I would also like to thank all members who contributed
in sharing their opinion on the mailing list and our weekly Skype meeting.

[1] http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/10/3886.html