Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 00:15:59 -0800

Dear Dr Naiken,
At 07:23 29-12-2015, Stephen Naicken wrote:
>Both you and Yuv, talk about a lack of seed-funding. I would be
>interested to know some more details about this. How much money is
>typically available to early-stage startups and how much equity is
>expected in return? Are there incentives for investors, such as
>SEIS [7] in the UK? Are the investors generally local, Mauritians
>residing abroad, or foreign?

There is a confusion between SMEs and start-ups. It seems like any
new company which sells something which is IT-related might be a
startup. I don't know how much money is available (in Mauritius) in
the early stage or the equity in return. There are financial
incentives [1] being offered to foreign investors. My guess is that
the investors are usually non-Mauritians. I took a quick look at
SMEDA. The SME Guide [2] could have been written by people who are
good at producing a tertiary "General Paper".

1.
http://www.investmauritius.com/media/230025/list-of-incentives-available-to-ICT-BPO-companies.pdf
2. http://www.smeda.mu/English/SME%20Guide/Pages/default.aspx