Re: Mailing list archives

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 02:24:56 -0800

Hi Eddy, Ajay,

I read the mailing list archive to find complaints about spam. There
were three or four persons who reported that they have been receiving
spam. None of those persons said that the spam is because of the
mailing list archives. I read comments about hiding email addresses
as that would prevent spam. It would not be possible to see the
email address which was used to send a message if that is done. It
is easy to use any name you wish when you send an email. It is less
easy to use an email address which is not yours as there are some
technical measures which can be used, e.g. what is sometimes done to
prevent phishing.

Mr Velvindron sent a message to the mailing list about "CCA Mauritius
Root Certificate". I would like to give him credit for mentioning
the "chain of trust". I would not be able to contact him about that
if I cannot find his email address. I would like to copy this email
to him. What if he says that my message is spam? I chose not to
copy this message to him as I am not sure whether he will say that.

I read that Mr Sookun is "representing consumers, purchasers and
other users of Information and Communication Services, including
telecommunication services". I would like to email him to ask about
the "up to" download speed. I cannot do that as his email address is
not published on the web site. I would have to contact the secretary
of the ICT Advisory Council and ask to be put into contact with the
representative. I have done something similar previously and I did
not receive any reply.

The ICT Advisory Council was set up approximately fourteen years
ago. There wasn't any information published about the persons
representing consumers on the ICT Advisory Council over the
years. Is that because of privacy?

The choice for the subscribers is whether to adopt a culture of
secrecy or transparency.