Re: Did the MNIC obtain a judge's order to access the database of the Civil Status Office?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 14:48:12 +0400

Hi SM,

On 12/07/2015 10:12 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> There is an Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) since
> 1999 at the Central CID.

Thank you for the heads-up. I'm doing some research and not-so-beautiful
things regarding privacy are showing up. As per this document
(http://cib.govmu.org/English/Documents/Current%20State%20Assessment%20v2%20-%2011%20April%202014.pdf)
from the Central Informatics Bureau (CIB), the AFIS is still operational.

> Does the declaration form also mention photo which is processed?

Part of the text that was sent to me has no mention regarding
photograph. I still have unanswered questions resting somewhere in the
emails sent to the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation.
So far, it does not look like other people in Mauritius are a tiny bit
concerned whether their photo is stored in a database which can be used
against facial recognition without their permission.

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.