ISP best effort

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 11:57:12 -0800

Dear Ms Vayapooree,

I am writing to you as you are the Manager, Communications and
Consumer Affairs of the ICTA. I read the following reply from Emtel
to Mr Yusuf Satar:

   "With reference to your connection as advertised airbox is a best
    effort service and the speed will fluctuate depending on the real
    time traffic."

There is an Information and Communication Technologies (Quality of
Service) Regulations which was published in 2014. The regulations states that:

   "The Authority may, for the information of the general public, publish
    such quality of service results and monitoring report data of public
   operators in such form and manner as it may determine."

I'll quote the following from https://www.icta.mu/it/qos.htm

   "Consumer Benefits - it enables consumers to know exactly the level of
                        service they are obtaining for the price they are
                        paying"

I understand from the above that an ISP service is not a best effort
service and that the Information and Communication Technologies
Authority (ICTA) will publish quality of service results so that the
consumer can make an informed decision. I could not find any results
published on the web site of the ICTA.

I am doing some research about the internet in Mauritius. Could you
please send me the quality of service results for the last year?