Re: Insecure Internet in Africa & Mauritius

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:58:19 +0000

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
>
> I read http://logan.hackers.mu/2015/10/insecure-internet
>
> "One of the major limitations of DNSSEC is that the question/response is
> not
> encrypted. A 3rd party can monitor my DNSSEC messages, and build a
> profile
> about my surfing habits, such as the time I usually check my Bank
> account."
>
> My very simple response to the above is yes.

I got a faily long comment on the blog post:

"
Hi Logan, Thanks for your blog and all your posts that I'm following.
I'm a web developper from France passionate about IT security and came
to Mauritius several times. For me I don't have the skills to break
into heartbleed, I just understood how it works. I know how to install
and deploy web server with good security practise and keep them
updated, but that's all. I would advise that you cannot rely on
organizations from public and private sectors. Unless there is someone
passionate enough employed in the service that can take he best
decisions and not decisions based on MS partnership, I guess that's
why security is a small concern for many. There are not much people
knowing enough about free and open source philosophy and if there are
they don't have the power to take decision in organizations. It's the
same here in France in many sectors. Regarding the state of the actual
internet, we all know the problems with SSL/TLS certificate and CA
(un)trustworthy chain. >One of the major limitations of DNSSEC is that
the question/response is not encrypted One answer to that would be the
okTurtles browser extension that is not yet ready
https://okturtles.com/ Anyway it would be a good idea to follow
projects from redecentralize.org Many new programs are being written
to solve the actual state of the internet. I just don't know which one
will take over first! Just to list a few: maidsafe.net cryptosphere.io
zeronet.io morph.is More on github:
https://github.com/redecentralize/alternative-internet Hope you'll get
some time to check this and share your insight in a blog post. Thanks
for all that your doing already to make IT a better and safer place.
"