Re: Query on ICT Observatory Stats Mr Sookun

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 18:00:00 +0400

Hello SM,

On 10/17/2015 11:30 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Mr Sookun sent the above message (see quoted text) to ask in which
> country the "cloud solution" for the National Internet Filtering System
> is located. There wasn't any answer from the Information and
> Communication Technologies Authority. There are a few other members of
> the Mauritius Internet Users who are interested to understand how their
> web requests are analyzed and filtered. I would be grateful if you
> could help in providing the information which was requested.

Ms Vayapooree replied my email yesterday, which I read during the night.
She has briefly explained the process through which a web request is
redirected when the sought IP address is on a blacklist announced by the
Internet Watch Foundation (IWF).

 From her explanation I grasp that Netclean Whitebox is a cloud solution
hosted in Sweden. It announces IP addresses (from the IWF blacklist)
through the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) to the core network of
Mauritius. Web requests towards IP addresses which are not figured in
the blacklist continue the journey, while requests to blacklisted
destinations are diverted to "Sweden" and a "block page" is shown to the
browser.

I have other interrogations which I will communicate to Ms Vayapooree.