RE: What can dholl-puri teach us about ICT development?

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 09:59:25 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 2015-10-05 21:33, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> Thank you. It was a very interesting article!

I appreciate your feedback :)

> Please do use the elandnews link if you wish to share the link.

Sorry for the mistake. I've updated the link in article.

> From what I observed (from my generation) there is a lot of
> competition especially when it comes to grades. Our society defines
> the person with better grades as the more intelligent one. This kind
> of attitude eventually turned into a disgusting culture easily
> embraced by a lot of persons.

I agree with this statement. We tend to give too much importance to
grades, look & attire.

> I know a lot of students who were different and Intelligent but who
> were ended up being rejected because they wouldn't fit into the
> educational system. It seems that our educational system would rather
> work with people who think alike rather than being 'original'. They
> would rather go abroad and copy ideas from countries instead of
> nurturing our local talents.

Our education system favours "one graduate per household" :)

> It has become a trend nowadays- 'followers'. We may be living on a
> Facebook Island but some of our Citizens seems to favor the 'Follow'
> option on Twitter. (-./)

There is no harm in following if it's done right.

> I don't think giving students tablet is going to improve their
> interest or grades.

I have not seen any study carried in Mauritius that shows tablets in
schools will improve the learning capabilities of pupils.

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754547/Apple-boss-Steve-Jobs-didnt-let-children-iPads-limited-tech-consumption.html
>
>> The point in the last part of your blog article
>> is that people blindly adopt whatever some expert
>> says instead of doing an analysis to see whether
>> what the expert says makes sense within the local context.
>
> Is it really about what the experts said or is it because the
> Government is pressuring its citizen?

People are used to fear the government because of "political" reprisal
that might affect their career. Even a young person in the late twenties
has debts now and preserving a job is essential. In some way, that
explains why these people would not openly object to government
impositions.