Re: Latency

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 17:40:29 +0000

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Logan,
>
> I noticed that you have reusing quite a few ideas from our discussions.
> You even GPLized a few of them. :-) It is nice to see that you have been
> discussing

Obviously, MIU has been talking about the bandwidth problem, and the need
for the local content well before that ! I will include that in the next
podcast :)

> about latency in Mauritius ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeaGoEp2POQ
> ). Bufferbloat is a minor part of the problem from a local perspective.
> However, it is a part which a home user can fix.

And also ISPs can fix by shipping with fq_codel enabled by default on their
CPE.

Also, the need to fix the DSLAM/GPON as well. Also, the routing to reduce
the Round-trip time.

> In the video you mentioned that Amazon and Google could set up datacenters
> in Mauritius at a reasonable price if the latency problem is fixed. Are
> you sure that latency is the problem?

Yep. Latency to the US is one of the huge factors, aside from bandwidth.
The other factors are also price of setting up and running a datacenter in
a tropical island like ours.