ID Card e-services

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:41:40 -0700

Hi Avinash,

Yesterday, a person asked me about your position on the ID card
issues. I see that you gave an interview about it two years ago:

   "This new ID card will cost a fortune and people need to understand that
    it is only a means of identifying someone. We will only have a good
    return on investment if and only if most Governmental services become
    e-services. It's high time that we, Mauritians, stopped wasting
    our time having to go to Port Louis or Ebene just to submit a form."

I do not have much interest in the discussions about cost as I find
the technology part more interesting. I agree with your comment that
it is high time that we stopped wasting our time by having to go to
Port Louis to submit a form. I'll add that queuing for half an hour
for an administrative matter results in a significant amount of time wasted.

A significant issue is the security and privacy implications. The
description of the symbol in the top left corner of the ID Card
caught my attention [2]. People who are conversant with technology
would read that as an indication that the ID card supports Near Field
Communication (NFC). However, the official description was "Optical
Variable Ink". I am okay with NFC as long as the security and
privacy implications are given serious consideration. Unfortunately,
it is not possible for that to happen when there isn't any technical
information about the ID card.

1. http://issuu.com/ldmg/docs/nos901
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ0uU3Lws_g