Re: National Identity Card

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 18:59:20 +0400

Hello Ajay,

On 09/20/2015 01:22 PM, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:
> Ish, were you quoted the relevant part of the law which states that
> 'hardware devices' are exempt when you received the reply from the CCA?

I quote from the reply that I received from the Controller of
Certification Authorities of Mauritius on 12 February 2015:

        ** With regard to the MNIS CA, prior to the start of its operations, it
had made a request to be licensed by the CCA of Mauritius. This
licensing requirement for the MNIS CA to operate was not required by the
CCA. The reason being that the MNIS CA issues its certificates only to
hardware devices and not to citizens of Mauritius. In fact, the CCA
licenses CA who issues digital certificates to persons in Mauritius.
This is in line with the definition of certificates in the Electronic
Transaction Act 2000, as amended which reads as follows:

        “certificate" means a record issued by a certification authority for
the purpose of supporting digital signatures which purports to confirm
the identity or other significant characteristics, of the person who
holds a particular key pair.” **

The explanation given was that MNIS CA did not require a license since
the certificates are issued to "hardware devices" and not to "persons".
Now, if you apply that in a business sense, I guess you do not require a
license by the CCA in case you design & sell security hardware products
that contain a digital certificate which is signed by "your own CA". Did
I get it wrong?