Re: Apostrophes in URL

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 21:33:49 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 09/18/2015 09:01 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> Yes, based on the URL Ish sent me. I could observe that apostrophe in a
> .com works.
> Could you please explain why .mu does not support apostrophes?

Apostrophe in the URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) works. The URI is
the part following the domain. Let's break this URL for you:
http://hacklog.mu/about

'http' is the protocol
'hacklog.mu is the domain
'about' is the URI

In the link I sent you earlier, the URI part actually is a file named
Shelly's test.html. You will notice the apostrophe is seen in the
address bar while the space is converted to %20.

> What do you mean by software problems?

I was reading about Internationalized Domain Names [1] to understand the
software limitations. There are two lengthy RFCs [2][3] as well. I
haven't gone through yet.

Am I on the correct RFCs, SM?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1034