Re: Mauritius Smart Cities Conference

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:06:19 -0700

Hi Ish, Logan,

At 08:57 08-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>The matter of receiving sponsorship from government for
>Linux-related activities is debatable. I do not think MIU's mailing
>list is the place to have this discussion.

The reply reminded me of
http://www.ncb.mu/English/Documents/Legislations/NATIONAL_COMPUTER_BOARD.pdf

   "The objects of the Board shall be to --"

     "(a) foster the development and growth of information technology,
          information systems and computer related services in Mauritius;"

     "(c) assist in the framing of appropriate national education, training
          and research plans in the field of information technology in
          order to build the necessary expertise base for consolidating
          the information technology industry in Mauritius; and"

In my opinion "computer related services" is outdated nowadays. It
is somewhat like distributing Linux CDs; that was useful in the
previous century.

Would it be more effective if the National Computer Board were to
foster the development of technology and build the necessary
expertise base through a funding mechanism which encourages volunteer
efforts? From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the policy up
to now has been to invite groups such as LUGM to contribute ideas for
free. Such an approach assumes that the volunteers should pay the
expenses in addition to providing their expertise.