Re: Sponsorship for fostering a more vibrant Open Source community

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 02:17:19 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 09:05 08-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I was and I still am in favor of formalizing this group under a
>*legal* umbrella. If we continue running "Mauritius Internet Users"
>as only a mailing list, it will not help much in getting
>sponsorship. At some point you need to adjust things a little bit to
>fit in the local context.

I agree that it would be better to formalize this group.

>Besides, in a group you should find the right skills for the right
>job. Approaching an organization to discuss sponsorship requires
>good communication skills. People who can clearly explain the aims
>of the group and show how those could help the organizations. Please
>note, formalizing does not mean bringing in bureaucracy that kills
>the efforts of those who want to help. Folks who want to help but
>aren't applying the proper methods should be mentored and channeled properly.

There will have to be some "bureaucracy" if this group is receiving
sponsorship. I agree that it should not hamper the efforts of those
who want to help.

Will Logan, Shelly and you be doing the mentoring on a regular
basis? I gather that you are all three aware that it is a very
difficult effort. There is the local talent; however the experience
is low and the involvement is very low.